Sunday 4 May 2014

Crunchy Chocolate Buckwheat Cereal

Peter calls this cereal "gravel cereal". Yes, it is quite crunchy and does kind of resemble gravel, but it is totally delicious!

This is my favourite make-in-advance breakfast at the moment. It's inspired by the Loving Earth Chocolate Buckinis I sometimes buy. 

I've been making a version of this cereal, from the fantastic book The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, for years. The plain version, with just peanut butter and maple syrup, is lovely too. But it becomes something really special when combined with the cocoa, coconut and goji berries. I'm not a big fan of goji berries on their own, but I love them in this!





Crunchy Chocolate Buckwheat Cereal (makes about 4 servings) (adapted from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook and inspired by Loving Earth Chocolate Buckinis)

2 cups raw buckwheat groats
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup goji berries

Preheat oven to 150C. Spread buckwheat on a large baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes, stir around and bake for a further 20-25 minutes until golden. While buckwheat is still in the oven, mix together the peanut butter, maple syrup and cocoa in a large bowl. When the buckwheat has finished roasting, immediately mix with the peanut butter mixture until buckwheat is coated. Add the shredded coconut and goji berries. I eat this with soy or oat milk - yum!

2 comments:

  1. I am really delighted to see this recipe - I have admired the Loving Earth buckinis a few times but been put off by the cost. As you know, I am also in a buckwheat stage, so this is impeccably timed :) I'll definitely try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like this cereal! I thought you might be interested in it :) definitely cheaper to make than to buy the packaged cereal ...

      Delete