Monday 16 September 2013

Vegan Chocolate Cornflake Crackles

I had some cornflakes to use up, so this recipe was born!

I kept sneaking back into the kitchen to "test" the results, so I think they turned out pretty well...

These are a great healthier alternative to traditional kid's chocolate crackles, but also a lovely treat for the grown-ups. 

On another note, I have made a list of my links to online recipes if anyone is interested!



Vegan Chocolate Cornflake Crackles (makes about 11 large crackles)

4 cups cornflakes (I used sugar free cornflakes)
1/2 cup dairy free margarine (I used Nuttelex)
100g vegan chocolate, broken into pieces
1/3-1/2 cup rice malt syrup
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
2 tbsp ground cashews
2 tbsp ground pecans

Melt margarine in a small saucepan. Add chocolate and rice malt syrup and stir until smooth.

Put the cornflakes, flaxseed, cashews and pecans in a large bowl. Add the chocolate mixture and stir. 

Place mixture in cases and put in the freezer (fridge will probably work too) for at least 1/2 an hour before eating. 

These are best eaten cold, or they'll fall apart!

8 comments:

  1. These look so much better than the equivalent, non-vegan type I remember as a child - for a start, they were never chocolate, just honey (I think I had chocolate crackles with rice bubbles instead)! I like your additions of flax and nuts in particular :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari! I was always a chocolate crackle with rice bubbles girl too. I think the cornflake ones were called honey joys, but I never saw the point in them without the chocolate! I added the flax and nuts mainly because I am always trying to pack in the healthy fats for my 3 yo who doesn't like to eat pieces of nuts, but they actually taste great in these

      Delete
  2. They look very chocolatey and very pretty in the cupcake holders - much nicer than the copha version and so much healthier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! I definitely prefer these but I must admit that I think Sylvia prefers the copha laden ones :)

      Delete
  3. They look really lovely, I used to love these sorts of sweets when I was young. This healthier vegan version sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! Yeah, they're fun and quick to make, and yummy!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, these look like a lovely snack and I loved the cups they're in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandee! Yeah I have managed to accumulate a lot of cute patterned cupcake holders :)

      Delete