Sunday 29 June 2014

Vegan Snacks for Kids... that they actually eat!

Are my kids the only ones in the world who tire of freshly baked muffins, slices, cakes and cupcakes? 

Maybe there's a little too much desperation in my eyes and my voice is just that bit too high and insecure when I offer them?

Recent exchange between Sylvia and I on the way to the park to meet some friends:

Sylvia: Mum, did you bring some food for us to eat at the park?
Me: Yep, I brought the muffins I made!
Sylvia: Oh. Did you bring any fruit or anything else?

Hmmmmm...

Seriously, my kids seem so picky these days with what they eat. This seems to be confined to the food I make. From a packet? No problem! I could go on strike to make them appreciate my food more and ease off a little on my baking binges, but that would be too much of a deprivation for me! 

Anyway, I've had some success with the following items. Granted, two of them contain chocolate chips... 



These vegan goldfish crackers are really delicious, and a nice change from sweets! I use this recipe but use a bit less water than recommended, and I also add some onion powder. 




These chocolate chip muesli bars were pretty popular. Sylvia added the sprinkles because apparently everything is better with sprinkles! I used this recipe but substituted Nuttelex and rice malt syrup for the butter and honey.  



This is the only granola the kids will eat because they don't like bits of nuts and seeds. Lexie likes to eat the granola clumps on their own. We all love this one!


My mum used to make semolina for me when I was little, only instead of chocolate chips she put a mixture of cocoa and sugar on the top. To make this, I heat a cup of non-dairy milk, then add a heaped tablespoon of semolina and sugar and simmer until it thickens a bit but is still pourable (it sets as it cools). 





10 comments:

  1. Today I bought bakery bread for the first time in ages and was told how nice it was compared to my bread so I understand. Sylvia is far less fussy about sweet food than savoury but bits are something she will spend so much concentration on finding - I wish she could channel that concentration elsewhere. I have never had semolina but it seems too gloopy for me - the rest of your treats look great to me and I think would make my sylvia very happy - esp if there are sprinkles and choc chips involved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you've got to love their honesty! No chance of us getting big egos!! Yes my Sylvia does not like any "bits" unless they are choc chips, and Lexie is now following her example. Semolina porridge isn't actually too gloopy- you can make it a thinner texture by putting less semolina in. My version is not too stodgy, although it does get like that as it cools :)

      Delete
  2. I remember semolina from my childhood :-)

    I would take your baked goods over things from a packet any day, but do remember the appeal of packaged snacks when I was young - mostly because we didn't have them often. I'm glad you have found some non-packaged winners and I have bookmarked that goldfish crackers recipe to try, as I don't have many savoury cracker recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari! I have considered putting my homemade stuff into fake packets, but it would be too time consuming :) yes do try the crackers- they're the best savoury crackers I've had

      Delete
  3. Me too - I'd take your crackers over the ready made stuff any day. I love a good savoury cracker and a bit of hummus nearby! I remember semolina from being a kid too, but my memories weren't as good as yours and I've never eaten it since - maybe I need to give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey! Semolina is nostalgic for me, which probably makes me like it more, but I do think you should try it again! Using enough sugar and just a tbsp of semolina per cup of milk makes it a nice texture- and of course the chocolate helps :)

      Delete
  4. Long live baked goods! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crackers looking good! I have to make some more though I have a family that run at the sight of dips and spreads. My life would be SO much easier if they at least ate hummus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often try to get them to have the crackers with nutritious dips, but it's a struggle! They like these crackers on their own. They're really good!

      Delete