Tuesday 18 November 2014

Vegan Lemon Cheesecake made with millet!

I love it when I discover a new way to use a basic ingredient. A while ago I discovered that you can use uncooked soaked red lentils to make delicious koftas. And now, I know that cooked and blended millet can be used to make an amazing cheesecake!
 
topped with mango - yum!
You'd never guess that the filling of this cheesecake is made with millet. It has a beautiful light creamy texture, softer than the often firmer texture of raw cheesecakes made with cashews. 

The filling is made with cooked millet, a small amount of cashews, lemon juice, maple syrup and vanilla. It is not overly sweet but is perfect combined with the crust and fresh fruit. 

The crust is baked first, and is made of oats, walnuts, rice flour, cinnamon, oil and maple syrup.


And best of all - wait for it - Sylvia loved it! She ate hers with icing sugar and mango. I had to leave the room after she asked for a second piece to contain my glee so I didn't turn her off eating it! She actually asked me to take a photo of her half eaten piece for my blog, so here it is:


I had this cheesecake for breakfast this morning. Cheesecake healthy enough for breakfast - enough said!

This recipe for Lemon Teasecake is from Raising Vegetarian Children. I found the recipe for the filling online here (lime juice is used instead of lemon juice) for those interested in trying it with a crust of your choice.


14 comments:

  1. How nice to have a recipe from a children's food cookbook that actually pleases children - my sylvia is not the sort of kid a lot of the recipes in those books are aimed at! The texture of this cheesecake look fantastic and I am glad you had a happy moment with Sylvia's eating. You even have the proof that she ate it with that photo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! My Sylvia is usually not the kind of kid those recipes are aimed at either :) yes, glad I have this pic because she'll probably never eat it again!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I've never heard of this trick before! And it really does look light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I hadn't heard of it before I saw this recipe either- I was a bit dubious about it and it took me so long to try it, but loved it in the end!

      Delete
  3. So exciting! I love the sound of this and it had never occurred to me to put millet in cheesecake. A softer filling sounds like just my kind of thing too. Thanks for the idea - and congratulations on the success with Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari! I find it exciting too! I think you'd like it- the texture is lovely. I didn't tell Peter what was in it and he loved it too, so you may have some success with mr bite?!

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!
    That is so so so awesome making cheesecake with millet!
    Must must give this one a try :D
    Now..... wondering if I need an occasion to make this or if 'just because' is a good enough occasion!??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sandy! It's pretty cool, isn't
    It?! Hope you like it! I didn't have any occasion for making mine, so I reckon "just because" is fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How unusual to use millet in the filling, it looks awesome! Yes, I would have a slice of this for breakfast too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky! I know, it's quite a surprising ingredient! Millet, nuts, oats- good enough for breakfast I say :)

      Delete
  7. I know it's probably a bit wrong, but I only ate millet for the first time earlier this year as a substitute for rice, and really liked it. It's definitely gone up in my estimation to know it can live in puddings too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am interested in your crust recipe that uses oats, walnuts, rice flour, cinnamon, oil and maple syrup. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen- the recipe for the crust is from the same book. Combine 1 c rolled oats, 1/2 c rice flour, 1/2 c ground walnuts, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt. Separately mix 1 tsp vanilla, 3 tbsp maple and 1/4 c oil. Mix everything together and press into pan, bake for about 10mins :)

      Delete