Monday 18 August 2014

Spaghetti Pie

Why have pasta on its own when you can have it encased in pastry?

One day, I inexplicably felt like making a pie with a spaghetti filling. This filling would have been a fine dinner on its own. I may have had too much time on my hands to think of putting it in a pie, not something that happens often! 

This was one of those weird ideas that worked out really well. Is spaghetti pie even a thing? I have seen it as a crust but not a filling. 

Sylvia thought this idea was hilarious and loved the end product. Peter thought I had gone completely around the bend, but also loved the end product. Lexie was too confused to even try it!

This pie is definitely comfort food, and fun to make and eat!



Vegan Spaghetti Pie

Pastry (slightly adapted from barley poppy seed crust from Vegan Lunch Box)

2 cups plain flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Filling

Pasta
approx half a packet of angel hair pasta (about 250g I think)
2 tbsp olive oil 
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
2 zucchinis, grated
approx 2 cups passata/tomato cooking sauce
dried basil and oregano to taste
2 tsp sugar
salt to taste

White sauce 
2 tbsp vegan margarine
2 tbsp plain flour
approx 1 cup non-dairy milk
dash of garlic powder and salt to taste

Preheat oven to 190C.

Make the pastry: Combine flours, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the oil and mix with your fingers until the flour has formed small crumbs. Add the water and vinegar and stir with your fingers until the dough holds together. Knead the dough a few times and divide into two pieces. Roll out each piece on a floured surface to fit your pie dish and line your pie dish with one of them. Put the other crust aside and make your filling.

Filling: Cook the pasta - this only takes two minutes - and put aside. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the garlic, carrot and zucchini for about 10 minutes. Add the passata, herbs, sugar and salt and cook for a few more minutes. Add the pasta and combine. If you want it a bit more saucy add some more passata, but you don't want it too runny. 

Make the white sauce: Melt the margarine in a small saucepan. Add the flour and garlic powder and cook on low heat for a minute or two. Slowly whisk in the milk, only adding enough to reach desired consistency, until it thickens but is not too gluggy. Add salt to taste.

Fill the pie with the spaghetti mixture, spread the white sauce over the top and top with piecrust. Cut a small slit in the centre of the pie. 

Bake for about 35 minutes until lightly browned. 




9 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds great to me - something so comforting about carb on carb esp when something is wrapped in pastry. Your family reactions are hilarious! There is a bakery near us that does pasta in a creamy sauce in pasties which I have always found odd but I do have them very occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes carb on carb is good! Admittedly it did feel a bit odd to eat when I thought about it, but it tasted good :)

      Delete
  2. I can truly say that this idea has never crossed my mind!! It's good to hear your family (mostly) enjoyed the creative dinner and it does look like good winter comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Kari yes I'm not sure why it crossed my mind! But it was fun and a bit of a novelty :)

      Delete
  3. That's so much fun! I can see why it might have confused Lexie, but it's just like a fairy-dusted lasagne to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that term Joey- so accurate! :)

      Delete
  4. My my. What a lovely spaghetti pie! I’m seriously drooling at this and it’s 8:30pm now! Ahhhh this looks amaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rika! It's a bit crazy but delicious :)

      Delete