Tuesday 30 September 2014

Raw Hazelnut Caramel Slice (100th post!)

This delectable, (practically) raw slice is my celebration of 100 posts on this blog! 

Good excuse, anyway...

It is seriously addictive. I made it last night and it's almost gone. Even Lexie, almost two, likes it!

This recipe requires no soaking and nothing too complicated. It is rich and sweet, yet feels so wholesome. The hazelnuts are so delicious with the peanutty caramel - swoon.

I hope you enjoy it, and thanks so much for reading and visiting my blog!





Raw Hazelnut Caramel Slice (inspired by Raw Millionaire's Shortbread from Milking Almonds)

2 tbsp shredded coconut for "flouring" pan

Base
1 cup roasted hazelnuts
1/2 cup ground almonds (I used almond meal from a packet as I had some leftover)
1/2 cup soft medjool dates, packed
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1 tbsp maple syrup

Caramel
3 tbsp peanut butter
2/3 cup soft medjool dates, packed
3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup water
Pinch of salt
Dash of vanilla

Chocolate topping
3 tbsp each of coconut oil (melted), cocoa and maple syrup

"Flour" your pan with the shredded coconut. I used an approx 9 inch square cake tin.

To make the base, blend the hazelnuts until they are powder. Transfer to a food processor with the ground almonds and dates and process for about a minute. Add the oil, salt and maple syrup and process until the dough starts sticking together. Press into your tin.

To make the caramel, process the peanut butter, dates, oil, maple syrup, water, salt and vanilla until smooth. This took a few minutes for me. Spread this on top of the base.


Put your slice in the freezer for about 20 minutes. 

To make the chocolate topping, whisk together the oil, cocoa and maple syrup. Spread over the top of the slice and pop it back in the freezer until the chocolate sets. 

Indulge!

Store in the freezer.  



9 comments:

  1. congratulations on 100 posts kate - and here's to many more! I tried a similar slice to this and wasn't so keen but I think after my coconut oil has been open a while I go off it and I never use it quickly. Your slice looks great and perfect for a celebration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! I wonder how many posts you are up to now?! I know you're not too keen on coconut oil, but really you can't taste it all that much in this

      Delete
  2. congratulations on the 100! This is such a fab looking recipe with loads of my favourite things :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! All my fave things in this slice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, this looks fantastic! What a great way to celebrate 100 posts - and congratulations for that too :) My food processor will be arriving next week, and this looks like the perfect way to reacquaint myself with it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari! I can't wait to hear what you think, hope you love it and that it christens your food processor well :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Kate,
    We would like to share your blog's recipes on myTaste Australia (www.everyrecipe.com.au).
    Adding your blog will make your content available to our users and send you additional traffic. To have a better visibility and compare the number of visits of your blog with other popular Australian sites, install the myTaste widget.

    You can add your blog from the main page in the Top Blogs section (Food blogger? Join!).

    Hope to see you soon on myTaste,
    myTaste Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look awesome! So glad to have found your blog and congratulations on the 100 post milestone!

    ReplyDelete