Saturday 1 September 2012

Almond-jam muffins using leftover almond pulp

I am still chasing down the recipe for my mum's Hungarian Chocolate Chestnut Cake. In the meantime, I wanted to share these delicious almond-jam muffins:



I have been making almond milk quite a bit lately - I seem to be craving it! I hate to waste all that leftover almond pulp, so I googled ways to use it and came across this recipe on Veg Web

I loved these muffins. This is the most successful recipe I have found via Google in quite some time! And I have had some disasters, believe me.  
 
I used cherry jam for the filling and a couple of tablespoons of apple sauce for the egg replacer. 
 
To make the almond milk, I soak 1 cup of almonds overnight, then blend it with 4 cups of water, a bit of maple syrup, a dash of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt until smooth. I then pour it into a fine strainer (straining it though cheesecloth would create a smoother, less grainy result but I don't mind the tiny bits of almond). It's really easy and tastes so much nicer than bought almond milk.  
 
Now, I think I will probably make the almond milk just to have the pulp to make these yummy muffins!



6 comments:

  1. this makes me want to make almond milk just so I have some pulp left over for these muffins! How hard/easy is it to make almond milk - should I give it a go?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joey ! It's so easy to make almond milk, well worth it... You just need to plan ahead a bit to soak the almonds. And these muffins are very very good so there's another reason to make it :)

      Delete
  2. Those look delicious! Especially with cherry jam filling - yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really worth making, really light and the oozy jam is so nice!

      Delete
  3. Can I substitute something else for the flour? I'm trying to not eat anything containing wheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try a combination of gluten free flours but I'm not sure how that will change the texture... Might need to experiment a bit!

      Delete