Thursday, 12 December 2013

Walnut Oat Bliss Balls (date-free)

I'm a big fan of all those raw/nearly raw ball recipes. They are such an easy and quick sweet when you're pressed for time. And healthy!

I made these the other day, and they did not last very long at all. Yum.

These don't have dates in them. I love dates in raw sweets, but it is kind of nice to have a change from the particular flavour and texture they impart. Also, medjool dates are pretty pricey! 

These balls develop a firm cake-like texture once refrigerated for a while, which I love. 

Walnut Oat Bliss Balls (makes about 10 balls) Adapted from Bliss Balls from I Quit Sugar

1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp cocoa
pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp rice malt syrup, to taste 
1/3 cup almond butter
1-2 tbsp almond milk (if needed)
desiccated coconut, for rolling

Blend walnuts and oats together to make a coarse powder. Add this mixture to a bowl and add the cinnamon, cocoa, salt, rice malt syrup and almond butter. Mix together with your hands. If the mix is a bit too dry to be rolled into balls, add a bit of milk.

Form the mixture into balls, then roll in the coconut.


  1. Yum! I love balls like this too (as is probably obvious :P ), of all kinds. I haven't experimented much with walnuts though!

    1. Thanks Kari! No, I hadn't used walnuts much in ball recipes either, so it's a nice change and yummy too :)

  2. these sound delicious - I love walnuts in these sort of balls - it is the sort of thing I would love to put in Sylvia's lunchbox if they didn't have the nut free policy :-(

    1. Thanks Johanna! Yes the nut-free thing is hard when packing lunches. Maybe balls using seeds instead?? Must experiment...

  3. Sometimes if we feel peckish in the evening and don't have any good snack foods, I make a batch of balls and call them "cookie dough" and we eat it and it is glorious. I usually use oats and peanut butter and some raisins, but these sound much more delicious.

  4. I do the same! Often it's just stuff piled into the blender and crossing my fingers. Can't really go wrong with peanut butter though :)

  5. These are just the sort of thing I don't know why I don't make every day - healthy, tasty, and perfect for lunchboxes. How long do they take to make, do you reckon? I'm wondering if I could even make a batch before work...

    1. I know, I think that every time I make these kinds of recipes! I reckon 5 minutes max, including cleaning up :)