Monday 14 April 2014

Iced Gingerbread Cake

There's not too much to say about this cake. It just made me feel good!

This cake is a mildly spicy version of gingerbread in cake form. I really love this icing - a thin, crisp layer of extra sweetness. 

Perfect with a cup of tea with rice milk!




Iced Gingerbread Cake (adapted from The Wholefood Lunch Box by Janet Hunt)

1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup vegan margarine (I used Nuttelex)
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp ground flaxseed whisked with 3 tbsp water
non-dairy milk to mix (I used oat milk)

Icing
1/2-3/4 cup icing sugar
2-3 tbsp coconut milk/cream
few dashes of cinnamon
Dash of vanilla

Preheat oven to 180C.

Whisk together the flaxseed and water and put aside.

Mix together all dry ingredients. 

Melt the margarine and molasses together on low heat until melted.

Stir the margarine mixture and the flaxseed mixture into the dry ingredients. Add as much milk as necessary to make a thick batter.

Line a square cake tin with baking paper and pour in the cake mixture. 

Bake the cake for 15 minutes at 180C and for further 45 minutes at 170C, or until cooked.

To prepare icing, simply stir all ingredients together until smooth. Let it cool completely before icing. You can eat it immediately or wait until the icing hardens (or a bit of both!). 

4 comments:

  1. this looks like the sort of food my mum used to make - which gives it extra comfort factor - am sure it would go down wonderfully in my household

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I definitely is in the comfort food category- and a nice change from chocolatey cakes and those with lots of icing

      Delete
  2. This looks like just the thing with a cup of tea! Or, to be honest, even on its own :) I love gingerbread flavours and thin icing is my style too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - in my case, this cake was enjoyed every time I walked past and took a piece :)

      Delete