Tuesday 25 February 2014

Vegan Walnut Plum Cake

For someone who makes and eats so many desserts, it's surprising that I haven't made up a cake completely from scratch before. 

Well, here it is!

After a challenging day, and with about 10 minutes to spare before bath and bedtime for Sylvia and Lexie, I was determined to create a comforting cake to finish the day on a high note. 

My mum had given us a load of sugar plums. It triggered a memory of a cake she makes sometimes with walnuts and plums or apricots. I asked her how she makes it, but my mum is an instinctive cook and never measures anything so I just had to fly blind.  

The kitchen was in quite a state by the time the cake was in the oven, but it was worth it!

It's just a humble cake, but a delicious one and I'm proud of it! Everyone in the household loved it, which is always an unexpected joy with the variance in ages and preferences!

The walnut and cinnamon go so well with the soft baked plums, and I think the coconut yoghurt gives the cake a lovely texture. I actually had intended to use a bit of oil, but in my flurry totally forgot! In the end, it definitely wasn't missed. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.


Vegan Walnut Plum Cake

1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water
1 cup white spelt flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice or brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda 
1 tsp baking powder
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 cup coconut yoghurt
3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used coconut rice milk)
About 10 plums (I used little sugar plums), sliced or halved
bit of extra cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 180C and oil a square cake tin. 

Firstly, whisk together the flaxseed and water and set aside.

Mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, pinch of salt, sugar, cinnamon and walnuts in a large bowl.

Add the yoghurt, milk and flaxseed mixture and stir until just mixed.  

Put the batter into the cake tin and place the plums on the top. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon and sugar on the top if desired.

Bake for about 35 minutes or until lightly browned and firm in the middle.  

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first invented cake! You will be on a roll now, especially as this one looks so good. I love the idea of plums with ground walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari! Yes I think I'm going to go a bit wild and rebellious with my baking now :)

      Delete
  2. Wow it looks great - I think having a mum who makes cakes is always a good start in doing it yourself. Curious if the sugar plums are the same as the cherry plums we had on a huge tree in our backyard as a kid - wish I had a tree like this now - are the sugar plums from your mum's tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! So true- my mum is the best instinctive cook. Mum doesn't have a tree but the property I grew up on had lots of plum trees, so quite nostalgic for me!

      Delete
  3. I love making recipes up, usually when I make muffins I just make it up as I go along. It's like a science experiment and it's great. I love the exciting moment when you take it out of the oven and when you have the first taste, not knowing what it's going to be like. Sure I've made some duds, but I've also made some awesome muffins! Plus, if you don't have a recipe, then you never find yourself having to run to the shop halfway through for some forgotten ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kayla! I know, it's quite an adrenalin rush chucking stuff in a bowl and seeing how it turns out... And however it turns out you can say that's how you meant it to be :)

    ReplyDelete