At one stage in my life, I was sharing a house with a wonderful woman from Bangladesh who also happened to be a great cook. As a result, I learnt to cook a really great rice. Hope you like it.
2 cups basmati rice
1 cup red lentils
1 1/2 tblsp crushed garlic
3 tblsp cumin seeds
1 tblsp tumeric powder
1 tblsp crushed dried chilli (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry onion in oil, in a pot, until caramelised then take off heat.
- Add garlic, cumin seeds, tumeric, chilli, salt & pepper - stir.
- Wash rice and lentils and place in pot.
- Place finger gently on top of the rice and add enough water to cover the first flange.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn off heat (if electric), put extremely low if gas.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.